Staff and specialities
Professor: Gaku YAMAMOTO
Osteobioscience, Oral oncology, Fluoride research
Assistant Professor: Tomoki HIGO
Assistant Professor: Shinya KOSHINUMA
Assistant Professor: Takuya MURAKAMI
Outline of the department
The department provides general treatment at an out-patient clinic and some
types of specialized treatment. Specializations are temporomandiburar joint
(TMJ) diseases, malocclusion and dentofacial deformities, dental implant,
maxillofacial trauma, and for minor surgery related to oral and maxillofacial
There are approximately 1,300 new out-patients a year. The department has 10
beds in the university hospital, and approximately 120 in-patients are
admitted a year. In addition, over 100 major operations are carried out. Of
the affiliated hospitals in Shiga and Kyoto prefectures, there are twelve with
oral and maxillofacial clinics affiliated with this department.
Our research is directed toward stomatology and dental medicine, as well as
oral and maxillofacial surgery (OMFS). The current on-going projects are:
1) Osteobioscience reconstructive technology for dento-alveolar bone defect.
2) Clinical studies of the treatment of dentofacial deformities.
3) Clinical studies of the diagnosis and treatment of temporomandibular joint
(TMJ) disorders. Histopathological studies of osteoarthrosis of TMJ.
4) Oral implantology
5) Studies of the relationship between dentofacial morphology and mandibular
6) Studies of fluoride with nano-analysis of biological samples including
total blood and serum protein. There are also studies of fluoride metabolism
with respect to public health and preventive dentistry.
7) Studies in and contributions to forensic dental and maxillofacial diagnosis.