Over the past few decades, the life sciences have made significant progress and now physicians are required to accumulate a great deal of medical knowledge and to approach new medical fields. Today’s health and social care needs to respond to the diverse needs of patients and develop the outstanding human resources in life sciences, social welfare and international aid. We develop and maintain excellent learning program and enhance our educational environment to achieve global standards.
Curriculum is based on ‘Model Core Curriculum’ that includes the adoption of cutting-edge research in life sciences and also provides the opportunity to raise awareness of ethical issues and develop the general knowledge. The lectures focused on the integration of basic and clinical sciences develop further understanding of essential medicine. Class sizes are kept small to facilitate self-motivated and inquiry-based learning to acquire problem solving skills and group discussion to improve communication skills. Clerkship on clinical training puts more focus on interactive learning than on observational learning.
Global competencies for clinical practice
- Develop ethical awareness in health care.
- Acquire essential knowledge and comprehension of diseases
- Learn basic clinical skills that include communication and diagnose
- Obtain understanding over health literacy and disease prevention
Keeping pace with and Contribute to Medical Progress
- Build problem solving skills through self-directed learning
- Learning skills of communication and information gathering
SUMS’s Desired Student
Strong motivation to study medicine and genuine interest in the medical profession
We evaluate the candidates for:
- Basic academic ability to study medicine
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of different people, and demonstrate compassion and empathy
- Positive attitude towards learning, and Dedication and Motivation for a lifelong learning
- Awareness of community health care
- Six-year streamlined education that includes liberal arts, medical ethics and English language skill for medicine
Emphasis on ethics and Inspire intellectual curiosity
Early entry to the majors to enhance students’ motivation
- Small group learning for primary disciplines of medical science
Organ system-based curriculum provides an integrated understanding the mechanism of disease
- In small group seminars, specific cases that need the cross-disciplinary approach in the clinical practice will be discussed to foster the skills of problem solving, self-development and diagnostic assessment. The ability to communicate effectively and treat people with respect is also essential to acquire
- In the clinical clerkship in university hospital,
Exposed to patient care and the practice of medicine as a team under the supervision by professors
Achieve general competencies for clinical practice and diagnosis
As visiting medical students,
Experience the care for the elderly and people with a disability or the work for the community health care
- Self-Independent Program
Set the research theme by students
Experience the research activity in medical science
Foster a passion for enquiry, discovery and investigative research
- Humanity, the highest standards of ethics and a professional responsibility both at work and in your private life as medical practioner
- General competencies for basic medicine and clinical medicine and Capability to apply the knowledge in medical research and clinical setting
- Capability to provide appropriate patient care and perform diagnostic assessment
- Empathy, effective communication skills with patients and colleagues, and ability to work effectively as a member or leader of a health care team or other professional group
- Self-motivated and lifelong commitment to learning medicine
- Awareness of community health issues including social welfare and nursing care and Capability to respond adequately to the needs of society.
- Learn to approach medicine from scientifically perspective, develop basic research skills and apply advance in academic medicine to the betterment of global society.
The Bachelor's degree is awarded to students who successfully complete the six-years course.