SUMS takes an integrated approach to educating students in the faculty of nursing. We combine a rigorous education in the core areas of study required in nursing with public health, medicine and social welfare issues in cooperation with the faculty of medicine to support students’ personal growth and develop their competencies in nursing care.
We live in an increasingly diverse society and need to be able to respond appropriately and sensitively to this diversity by nurturing exceptional health care professionals in the fields of medicine, nursing, public health, social welfare and international humanitarian aid. We develop and maintain essential clinical program to provide basic nursing care that can meet the needs of our community and that of the global society.
Students acquire nursing expertise and key skills for caring and decision-making, and become aware of ethics to develop general competencies for practicing the patient care. We offer the opportunities to obtain a sufficient level of nursing knowledge to develop nursing practice.
- Expand the personality to gain a deeper insight and understanding of human nature to protect and promote the autonomy of patients: respect their beliefs, personal experience and the rights for decision-making.
- Develop interpersonal skills to identify and target patients’ genuine needs and to provide outstanding care.
- Recognize the necessity of organized efforts to provide comprehensive health care services by public health, medicine and social welfare. Strengthen the ability to work effectively as a member of health care team.
- Enhance skills in problem finding and problem solving and demonstrate the intellectual curiosity to actively pursue a long working career as educator, investigator and manager.
- Be aware of changes in public health, medicine and social care and lead the nurse’s role development and role expansion.
Students who have strong motivation to study nursing genuinely and passionately
Student Selection Policy
- Academic ability to learn nursing
- Sufficient communication skills and Compassion and Respect for others
- Intellectual curiosity to actively acquire the knowledge and lifelong commitment to learn nursing
- Awareness of community health care including public health, medicine and social welfare
- Integrate the liberal arts and sciences with basic nursing to recognize the impact of natural and social environment on health and to obtain deeper understanding of human as living creature and human body science.
- Promote better integration theory into practice. Acquire the essential knowledge, code of ethics and practical nursing skills to provide the adequate care for patients in collaboration with university hospital.
- Keeping an eye on changes in public health care, medicine and social care both in Japan and abroad, Follow the global health issues and Learn about humanitarian aid.
- Strengthen communication skills through class activities and in collaboration with school of medicine that are essential to provide comprehensive health care services through the organized efforts as an integrated member of health care team.
- Learn how to conduct the nursing research and write thesis based on clinical practice through the class of research methods in nursing and Encourage students to attend academic and research conferences
- Acquire the basic knowledge and skills to use assessment methods in public health service and promote people’s health in the community
- Obtain needed skills for midwifery and Understand the required role and responsibility in maternal and child health and women’s health
- Cultivate humanity, Gain a broad knowledge and Acquire the special knowledge with highest standards of ethics. Beyond caring individual patient and person with disability, Provide enhanced care for health promotion. Understand global health issues as a citizen of the world.
- Develop communication skills and empathy. Build trustworthy relationship with patients and work effectively with colleagues as a team of different health care professionals.
- Learn to approach nursing from scientifically minded perspective, and to take the initiative in discovering challenges for the future nursing. Prepare for careers in nursing science as a researcher, and to become the next generation of specialist in nursing.
- Recognize the current and potential role of Public Health Nurse in our community to protect the people’s right to maintain a wholesome and cultured standard of living. Be capable of facilitating more proactive and effective public health nursing activities.
- Acquire the ability to provide appropriate perinatal care that includes prenatal care based on the delivery diagnosis as a midwife. Understand how to practice the gynecological and some primary care services for women from menarche through menopause.
The Bachelor's degree of Nursing is awarded to students who successfully complete the four-years course.