SUMS Scholarship Guidelines for 2022
SUMS accepts applications from Non-Japanese students and young researchers who, in principle, satisfy the following qualifications and conditions.
- Those from which we can expect excellent research results with superior personality and studies, who has been decided or expected to advance their studies in this graduate school, from among graduate students or young researchers enrolled in organizations that have an international exchange agreement with us.
- Recommendation: Applicants must be recommended by the authorized representative of the institution that they belong to and the host department at SUMS.
* Applicants don’t need to request the representative of the host department at SUMS to make a recommendation letter.
- Nationality: Applicants who have Japanese nationality at the time of application are not eligible.
- Age: Applicants must be born on or after April 2, 1987.
- Academic Background: Applicants who are eligible for enrollment in SUMS Doctoral Program by March 2023.
- Language Proficiency: Applicants must have the language proficiency of either English or Japanese, and must satisfy one of the qualifications below.
➢ ENGLISH: Eligible applicants are those who have: 1. a certificate of Common European Framework of Reference for Language (CEFR) Level B2 or higher. 2. a certificate which shows that the applicant completed a undergraduate program or master's program which was conducted in English as a main language. 3. a certificate which shows that the applicant’s English language proficiency level is equivalent to or more than the above No.1.
➢ JAPANESE: Eligible applicants are those who have: 1. a certificate of Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) Level N2 or higher. 2. a certificate which shows that the applicant completed a undergraduate program or master's program which was conducted in Japanese as a main language. 3. a certificate which shows that the applicant’s Japanese language proficiency level is equivalent to or more than the above No.1.
- Those who can take the entrance examination of this university's doctoral course conducted in this university at the beginning of December 2022.
2. Duration of the scholarship
48 months (from Autumn 2022)
- Successful applicants must take the entrance examination of this university's doctoral course conducted in this university at the beginning of December 2022.
- PhD course will start from April 2023.
- The scholarship period will not be extended.
3. Monthly stipend
* Additional information on the financial support for the travel costs, etc., will be notified to the successful applicants later.
4. Number of nominee
5. Host departments
6. Required documents
The original copies of the following documents must be sent to the SUMS International Center (see below) by post, and by email.
- Application form
[Downloadable from the following URL]
Word : Application for 2022 sums Scholarship(word)
PDF : Application for 2022 sums Scholarship (PDF)
- Latest academic graduation certificate (diploma)
- Latest academic transcript
* In case your transcript does not show GPA or the grading system, then a letter from professors of your university describing your relative evaluation in your class must be attached.
- Recommendation letter from the authorized representative of the institution that the applicant belongs to.
- Document which certifies the applicant’s language proficiency.
Shiga University of Medical Science
Otsu City, Shiga 520-2192 JAPAN
8. Deadline of application
Applications must reach us no later than 17:00 (Japan time) on May 23, 2022.
9. Notification of Acceptance or Refusal
Late June, 2022
9. Other information
Those who meet any one of the following conditions are ineligible. If identified ineligible after being selected as a scholarship student, he /she must withdraw from the scholarship.
- Those who did not pass the entrance examination of this university's doctoral course after they are selected for the scholarship.
- Those who cannot arrive in Japan by the period designated by SUMS.
- Those who are already enrolled in SUMS with a residence status of “Student”.
- Those who are expected to graduate at the time of application and cannot satisfy the qualifications and the conditions related to academic background by the deadline given.
If a candidate wish to decline the scholarship after selected, withdrawal letter should be submitted from his/her institution to the International Center of SUMS.
- Early termination/cancellation of the scholarship:
Payment of the scholarship will be cancelled for the reasons given below.
- A grantee has completed the doctoral course before the scholarship period ends;
- A grantee is determined to have made a false statement on his/her application.
- A grantee is determined to be inappropriate as a grantee due to his/her gross negligence, inactivity, grave misconduct, serious violation of laws or regulations, or other reasons.
- A grantee withdraws from SUMS or transfers to another institutions.
- Temporary Absence
It will not be allowed to leave Japan temporarily during the period of training unless absolutely necessary. A grantee must obtain permission to temporarily leaving Japan from his/her academic supervisor and notify the International Center in advance. The grant will be withhold while on leave.
The grantee must submit the paper on research activities at SUMS to his/her academic supervisor at the end of every academic year (by the end of March). The supervisor will submit the report on the performance of the grantee and his/her academic paper to the President of SUMS.