Vision and Values
This is the first master program for nursing founded in Shiga. Our mission is tackling diverse health challenges in 21st century by fostering innovative, creative and path-breaking thinking in our nursing students and researchers. Our resources, accumulated practical knowledge for research and education, achievements of nursing care and other educational resources that are shared with school of nursing, university hospital and other institutions are ready to provide outstanding program. We nurture excellent nursing professionals, educators and researchers who take initiatives in advanced nursing care with established knowledge and skills to promote development in nursing science.
Students are requested to be champions of human dignity and human rights and understand how nature, society and living environment impact on our well-being. They will learn to approach academic nursing and practical methods in nursing effectively to become competitive health care professionals both in Japan and in other countries.
They will also develop scientifically minded perspective, problem solving and essential research skills and competencies for patient care, education, administration and political involvement in nursing.
We provide lecture, seminar, clinical training and special research program to develop the following abilities in students;
- Apply knowledge, skills and ethics in nursing science to nursing care of their own specialties
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge and skills of nursing practice and administration in our health care system
- Take the initiative and Make the decision properly as a member of health care team consisted of public health, medical and social welfare professionals.
- Acquire higher knowledge and skills of nursing education and Provide outstanding education as nursing specialist
- Discover the challenges in nursing science and Conduct the research proactively
- Develop new techniques of nursing care that are fully ethical and applicable to clinical practice
- Respond creatively to the complicated and unexpected health challenges of global society in academic nursing field.
1.Those who have the basic grounding required to become a researcher in nursing science or related fields, or an expert who provides advanced human care services.
2.Those who have high ethical standards and enthusiasm for research.
3.For the Clinical Nurse Specialist Course, students with the above qualifications who also have rich practical experience in their specialized fields.
1.The Nursing Education Research Course conducts (1) a Special Subject exam that tests students' fundamental knowledge and thinking abilities in their specialized areas; (2) a Foreign Language (English) writing exam that tests the language skills that are necessary for students to conduct scientific research; and (3) an interview that confirms students' passion for research, their ethical standards, and their qualifications and competency for becoming a researcher.
2.Candidates for the Clinical Nurse Specialist Course must take (1) a Special Subject exam or essay exam that tests students' fundamental knowledge and thinking abilities in their specialized areas; and (2) an Oral Exam that evaluates students’ fundamental knowledge and enthusiasm regarding research in their desired fields.
- By establishing two Courses at our Graduate School (the Nursing Education Research Course and the Clinical Nurse Specialist Course), we provide our students with interdisciplinary education administered by our entire teaching staff.
- The Graduate School stipulates several common and specialized subjects for both Courses.
2-1. Common subjects provide basic knowledge, research skills, and research ethics generally necessary for nursing scientists.
2-2. Specialized subjects provide expertise and research skills for the specialized fields of each Course.
- The two Courses provide their own characteristic subjects as indicated below.
3-1.The Nursing Education Research Course cultivates students’ ability to conduct research in a creative and independent manner by teaching them the most advanced research methodologies and providing them with internationally and domestically obtained insights into different research challenges. Additionally, for these purposes the Course requires that students participate in special research tasks that lead to advances in the nursing science.
3-2.The Clinical Nurse Specialist Course enhances students’ ability to apply evidence in clinical settings by educating them about theories and ethics related to the nursing science and by providing them with research and clinical tasks that directly relate to nursing practice.
To complete the Program, students shall meet the following requirements:
- Acquire sufficient expertise and research skills in nursing science and related fields.
- Have high ethical standards and sufficient knowledge about research-related ethics.
- In addition to the above, the following additional abilities and attitudes for each of the courses listed below are required.
3-1. For the Nursing Education Research Course: the capability to identify new research challenges and to create evidence that leads to their solutions.
3-2. For the Clinical Nurse Specialist Course: the ability to identify important challenges in nursing practice and to understand or create new evidence that leads to resolution of the challenges.